Using the FTP Voyager Scheduler - KB Article #1035Related Articles --
FTP Voyager Scheduler is a very simple to use program. The best way to begin learning is to schedule some tasks and see how it works. Here are some tips to help you get started.About the FTP Voyager Scheduler Window
The FTP Voyager Scheduler window has four separate "panes" to organize the information. They are:
- Tasks Pane -- The top-left windowpane lists the sites that are scheduled to connect to as well as the next run time, last run time, and current status.
- Actions Pane -- After clicking on a scheduled site, the top-right windowpane lists all of the tasks scheduled to take place while connected to the site and any file/folder destinations.
- Log Pane -- The bottom-left windowpane will display a log of all FTP commands being executed while a task is occurring. This window can be logged to a text file from the Options menu under View.
- Status Pane -- The lower-right windowpane shows the current status of a task (i.e. file transfer status) as it is being executed.
Creating Tasks in FTP Voyager Scheduler
Scheduling tasks with FTP Voyager Scheduler is done in two steps. First, you have to specify a site and time for tasks to occur.
- Double-click on the FTP Voyager Scheduler icon in your systray or run FTP Scheduler from the Start menu.
- You may create a new task to connect to by selecting New from the Edit menu or by clicking on the New Task button on the toolbar.
- The Scheduled Task Settings window will appear. Click on the Select button to choose a site from your Site Manager which you want Scheduler to connect to.
- You can give your task setting a name and a description in the appropriately labeled boxes.
- Click on the Schedule tab to continue the configuration
- Choose how often you would a connection to this site to occur in the list labeled Schedule Task.
- Select the date and time for the task to be executed on.
- Press the OK button to accept these changes.
Right-click on the site you created in the left-hand windowpane and select "New Action" to create a new task for this site.
FTP Voyager Scheduler can perform eight different types of actions. They are:
- Download -- This action will asks you to for a path and filename or folder that you would like to download to you computer.
- Upload -- With this action, you specify a file or folder on your computer to upload and the destination on the remote the computer to upload to
- Synchronize Remote Folders -- After selecting the remote file/folder and the local file/folder to compare, FTP Scheduler will upload the new/changed file(s) in order for the remote files to match your local computer's files.
- Synchronize Local Folders -- This is the same as a synchronize remote folder task, except it downloads the files from the remote computer so your own computers files match them.
- Delete -- By scheduling a delete task, you can remove local or remote files and folders from the computer that you no longer need.
- Run External Program or Batch File -- This task will execute a program or batch file which you specify with any options you list here. This allows for quite a bit of customization.
- Move Up -- A Move Up action will upload files from your computer and then delete them from your computer after a successful upload.
- Move Down -- A Move Down action will download files to your computer and then delete them from the server after a successful download.
This demonstrates only the most basic features of FTP Voyager Scheduler. There are many more options that give even more control over your file management which you can learn more about in the built-in Help files.