Customizing Serv-U Banner Message - KB Article #1206Related Articles --
Setting Custom Banners In Serv-U
By default the current version of Serv-U displays the following to FTP Clients when they login.
Serv-U FTP Server vx.x ready...
For various reasons, it may be prudent to change this message. Most commonly, administrators will need to change this message because many IT security frameworks such as COBIT, ISO 17799, and others require that server banners not display the version of software installed. To make this change, the FTP settings of the domain must be changed using the directions below, and the variable list available in the Users Manual.
- Open the Serv-U Management Console
- Navigate to Domain Limits & Settings (or Server Limits & Settings if the settings should apply server-wide)
- Navigate to the FTP Settings tab
- Select "Use Custom Settings" if the option is available
- Select "Global Properties..."
- Edit the appropriate response code by selecting the code and clicking "Edit"
WARNING: If you change the welcome message, some FTP clients, such as FTP Voyager, may not recognize the server as a Serv-U server, thereby disabling some of the special features available when using FTP Voyager and Serv-U together.