Setting Up Serv-U's Log - KB Article #1357Related Articles --
By default, logging in Serv-U is disabled. To enable logging, follow the steps below:
- Open the Serv-U Management Console
- Navigate to Domain Activity | Settings
- Enable all logging options desired
- If log should be saved to a file, checkbox the option on the right hand side and select the file to log to
- If logs should be automatically rotated, select the frequency under the "Automatically rotate log file option" (best used when log file name includes time variables
There are two columns available - File and Screen - and a list of actions that can be logged. If an action is added to the logging options in the File column, it will be logged to the logging file. If it is added to the Screen column, it will be shown on the Log screen in the Log tab of Domain Activity. For example, an administrator may want to enable more detailed logging to file than should be displayed on the logging tab - this makes combing through recent logs easier while preserving more detail in the long run. In the example below, the logs filed are extremely detailed, including all FTP/HTTP/SSH commands sent and received, while the screen logs are limited to provide for an easier overview. The logs are rotated daily to a file called SU9Log-%M-%N-%Y.log which automatically becomes the correct date, such as SU9Log-01-20-2008.log, SU9Log-01-21-2008.log, and so on.
Do Not Log IPs
Serv-U supports the exclusion of log files from certain IP addresses. For example, if a Serv-U server is regularly contacted by an FTP client for short transfers that do not need to be logged, an administrator can add that IP address to the "Do not log" list and remove the extraneous details from the log file, both on the screen and in the log file itself.