Configuring AOL Instant Messenger™ for AllegroSurf - KB Article #1618Related Articles --
AIM needs to be configured to connect through a proxy server if run behind AllegroSurf.Setting up AIM to use a proxy server:
Adding a proxy server to Instant Messenger is even easier than configuring American Online. The following steps tell you how it's done.
- Start AOL Instant Messenger.
- From the Sign-On screen, click on the bottom left button labeled Setup.
- A new settings window will appear. Click on the tab labeled Connection.
- Check the box labeled "Connect using proxy."
- Fill in your server's IP Address and Port number in the boxes labeled Host: and Port:. The default Port number for the SOCKS server installed on AllegroSurf is 1080.
- Select a Socks 5 protocol from the list in the Protocol box.
- Click OK to accept these changes.
Your connection to AIM has been configured to use AllegroSurf. Sign on and start telling your friends about AllegroSurf!