Setting Up America Online for AllegroSurf - KB Article #1619Related Articles --
America Online's software needs to be informed that you are now using a proxy server to reach the Internet instead of a dial-up or LAN connection.Changing Your AOL Connection
Changing your connection to use a proxy server such as AllegroSurf is a simple procedure. Follow these steps and you'll be back online in no time!
If your previous connection to AOL was a dial-up connection, you will first need to create a new connection for a network. NOTE: If you already have a connection configured, you can skip the following four steps.
- Start America Online
- From the sign-on screen, click on Setup.
- Click on the button labeled Add Location.
- AOL will now want you to name this new connection and also specify what kind of connection it will be. Click on Select a custom connection and name it "Proxy Connection."
America Online has now created a location for you to connect to their servers using a LAN. You will now need to edit this location in order to set up the proxy settings.
- You have been returned to the sign-on screen by AOL. Click on the Setup button again.
- Now click on the button labeled Edit Numbers.
- You will see a window titled Edit Location. In the box at the bottom of this window is a list of all the connections that AOL is configured to use. Select the connection we just created (Proxy Connection) or your current LAN connection and click on Edit button below the list.
- Another new window titled Edit Number (Connection) will pop-up. Select Manual Proxy Configuration at the bottom of this window.
- Click on the View button.
- A Manual Configuration window will now open. You must check the box labeled Connect using proxy.
- On the right side of the window under Protocol, select the type of proxy to be a Socks 5. AllegroSurf has a SOCKS proxy setup by default, so no configuration is needed by your Network Administrator unless they have removed this protocol.
- You must now supply your server's IP Address in the box labeled Host: and the port number that the SOCKS proxy is setup on the server. By default, the SOCKS port number is 1080.
- Click on OK to accept these changes.
- Click on OK to exit the Edit Location (Connection) window.
- Click on OK to exit the Edit Location window.
You are now back at the main sign on screen for America Online. Your LAN connection is now configured to use AllegroSurf as your proxy server. Sign on to AOL and enjoy!