Setting Up ICQ for AllegroSurf. - KB Article #1620Related Articles --
After installing AllegroSurf on your computer/network, ICQ will need to be configured to connect through the proxy server. If you're using a proxy server as your connection to the Internet, ICQ treats this as a firewall. These steps show how to change ICQ's settings to use AllegroSurf as your connection.
- Start ICQ and make sure that you are disconnected.
- Click on the ICQ button and select the Preferences menu from the pop-up menu (Preferences & Security --> Preferences if in Advanced Mode).
- Click on the tab labeled Connection.
- Select your connection type as a LAN.
- Click on the option to tell ICQ "I am behind a firewall or proxy."
- Click on the button labeled Firewall Settings.
- Select "I am using a SOCKS5 proxy server."
- Click on Next to continue the setup process.
- Enter your server's IP Address and Port number in the boxes labeled SOCKS5 Host: and SOCKS5 Port:. The default SOCKS5 Port number on AllegroSurf is 1080.
- Click on Next.
- Make sure that you are disconnected from the ICQ network and click on the button labeled "Check My FIREWALL / Proxy Setting" to test your settings.
- Click on Done to make these changes.
- Click on OK to finish the setup process. ICQ will tell you that you must reconnect to ICQ for the changes to take effect. Click OK.
ICQ is now configured to use AllegroSurf as its proxy server!