Using Yahoo Messenger™ with AllegroSurf. - KB Article #1622Related Articles --
Yahoo Messenger requires its connection settings be changed in order to use a proxy server. If your browser is already configured to use AllegroSurf, Yahoo Messenger (YM) should automatically coyp the settings from your browser. So YM will already have an HTTP proxy setup for its connection. However, if you would like to change this to a SOCKS proxy, this is how it is done:
- Start Yahoo Messenger.
- From the Edit menu, select Preferences... or you can just press Ctrl+P.
- Click on the tab labeled Connection.
- Make sure that radio button labeled Use proxies is selected.
- If Enable HTTP proxy is checked, uncheck it.
- Check the box labeled Enable SOCKS proxy.
- Fill in your server's IP Address as the Server Name and the server's Port number (AllegroSurf's default SOCKS Port number is 1080) is the box labeled Server Port.
- Select the radio button labeled Ver 5 in order to use a SOCKS5 proxy.
- Click on the OK button to make these changes.
- Yahoo Messenger will now ask you if you would like to login with these new changes.
That's all it takes to configure Yahoo Messenger with your AllegroSurf SOCKS5 proxy server!