Windows User Account Control (UAC) - KB Article #1679Related Articles --
Newer versions of Windows have been known to cause issues with older versions of RhinoSoft applications, including: FTP Voyager, Serv-U, and AllegroSurf. This is due to how the User Account Control security system in Windows Vista and Windows 7 prevents some applications from communicating internally during normal processes such as software installation, software registration, and software startup (when running as a system service). If you notice strange behavior during these stages, the best first step is to update to the latest version of the product - current versions of all RhinoSoft products have been adjusted to be compatible with Windows User Account Control. If this does not work, please contact RhinoSoft Technical Support.
Known UAC Compatibility Issues
- DNS4Me Client: If DNS4Me is installed as a service and UAC is enabled, DNS4Me will crash during the Vista startup process. To resolve this, disable UAC.
- FTP Voyager: If UAC is active, FTP Voyager registration cannot complete. To resolve this, disable UAC or run FTP Voyager as administrator by right clicking the FTP Voyager icon and selecting "Run as Administrator" when you are updating Registration IDs.
- FTP Voyager Scheduler: If UAC is active, FTP Voyager Scheduler cannot interact with the desktop to obtain necessary configuration files and site profile information. To resolve this issue, disable UAC or follow the steps below:
- Open Windows Explorer and go to C:\Program Files\RhinoSoft.com\FTP Voyager
- Right click on FVScheduler.exe and select Properties.
- Go to the Compatibilty tab, and checkbox "Run as adminstrator"
- Click OK, and reboot your computer.
- When prompted, choose to run the application.
Finally, if it is only necessary to run FTP Voyager Scheduler as an application and not as a service, you can delete the "FTP Voyager Scheduler Tray" icon from the Startup folder under Windows Menu | All Programs , then move the FTP Voyager Scheduler shortcut from Windows Menu | All Programs | FTP Voyager into that folder.