Using the Serv-U Web Client - KB Article #1744Related Articles -- 2011, 1181
Logging Into The Web Client
To log into the Web Client, Serv-U must first be configured to listen for HTTP requests as described at Knowledge Base Article 1044. Once configured, enter the IP address or the domain name assigned to Serv-U into a browser window (at the time of writing, Serv-U Internet and Mozilla Firefox) and you will be presented with a login screen. Your normal FTP username and password will be accepted here.
Once logged in, users will be able to view all the files and folders they can normally see, and will be able to perform any action that they could via FTP, including uploading, downloading, and more.
Using The Web Client
The Web Client allows users to perform any action they would perform via FTP, using the steps below:
- Download - To download a file, either right click on the file and choose "Download" or highlight the file and click on the "Download" button in the lower-left toolbar. The Web Client is limited to a single file download at a time.
- Upload - To upload a file, click on the "Upload" icon which will appear in the lower-left toolbar if the user has "Write" permissions. The Web Client is limited to a single file upload at a time.
- Rename - To rename a file or folder, right click on the file or folder and select Rename, or select the file or folder and click on the "Rename" button which will appear on the lower-left toolbar if the user has Rename permissions
- Delete - To delete a file or folder, right click on the file or folder and select Delete, or select the file or folder and click on the "Delete" button which will appear on the lower-left toolbar if the user has Delete permissions
- Create Directory - To create a directory, click on the "Create Directory" button which will appear on the lower-left toolbar if the user has Create permissions.
- Open Directory - To navigate into a subdirectory, double click on the directory or select it and click on the "Open Directory" button in the lower-left hand toolbar.
- Navigate Up A Directory - To navigate up one directory in the file structure, click on the "Parent Directory" button in the upper-left hand toolbar.
- Navigate Directly Home - To navigate directly back to the home directory, click on the "Home" button in the upper-right hand toolbar.
Other actions which can be performed from the Web Client include:
- Changing Your Password - If the user has permission to change their own password, they will be able to see and use the "Change Password" button located in the upper-right hand toolbar. This option is not available for Windows User Group users.
- Open FTP Voyager JV - If the user has access to FTP Voyager JV, they can click on the "FTP Voyager JV" button which will be displayed in the upper-right hand toolbar to load the FTP Voyager JV for more complex file moving operations.
- Logging Out - To log out of the Web Client, users can click on the Logout button in the upper-right hand toolbar.
- Navigate To A Directory - To navigate to a specific directory, users can click the "Go" Button in the upper-right hand toolbar and type in the full path
Navigation in the Web Client
The Web Client supports Back/Forward navigation using the "Back" and "Forward" buttons located next to the Serv-U logo. This allows users to navigate through their browsing history. The "Full History" button (appears as a downward-pointing arrow) allows the full history to be viewed and browsed.
The Web Client also supports the saving of "Favorite" folders. Saving Favorites is accomplished by either right clicking on the folder and choosing "Save as Favorite", or selecting the folder and clicking "Save as Favorite" in the top menu bar.
Viewing Image Thumbnails and Slideshows
Serv-U 7 makes accessing images easier than ever by allowing users to view thumbnails of their images prior to downloading them, reducing load times and ensuring that time is not wasted accidentally downloading the wrong image. To turn on thumbnails for a folder, click on the "Thumbnails" button located in the upper-left hand toolbar and select the size from the drop-down menu. Larger sizes will take longer to load. To return to the normal view, click on the "Details" button.
NOTE: Generating thumbnails is a server-side operation that will consume large amounts of CPU cycles and memory.
Using The Built-In Media Player
As of Serv-U 7.1, the Web Client is also capable of playing audio and video files encoded in the WMV, AVI, MP3, MPEG, and WAV formats. To play a media file, select it in the Web Client and select the "Play Media" button that will be available in the bottom toolbar. To play all the audio/video files in a folder, click on the "Play List" button. The "Previous Media File" and "Next Media File" arrows on the top of the media player can be used to skip songs or videos, and the familiar Windows Media Player interface can be used to adjust playback. Firefox users will need to install a plug-in before accessing the built-in media player, and will be prompted to install the plug-in when first accessing media.
NOTE: Creating a playlist of files doesn't require copying the files into a folder for playback - just create a set of shortcuts to the songs you want to play and put them into a folder! Serv-U will treat the shortcuts as though they are the files they reference and play back those songs as a virtual "playlist".