Running Serv-U On A Headless Server - KB Article #2038Related Articles --
In some cases it is possible for Serv-U to be installed on a "Headless" server - that is, a server that has no graphical interface to speak of. Windows Server 2008 Core is this type of environment - since it does not include Internet Explorer, it is not possible to administer Serv-U on a Server 2008 core server locally. To administer Serv-U on this type of server, it is necessary to first import a basic configuration that will allow you to utilize the Remote Administration feature of Serv-U so that you can connect from a different machine for administration, using any supported browser.
To do this, you must:
- Install Serv-U on the headless server
- Stop the Serv-U service by using 'NET STOP "Serv-U File Server"' at the command line
- Export the following ZIP file into C:\ProgramData\RhinoSoft.com\Serv-U: Serv-U-Configuration.zip
- Start Serv-U using 'NET START "Serv-U File Server"' at the command line
- Connect to Serv-U using http://serveripaddress from a different machine, at which point you will see the Serv-U login page
- Use the username "admin" and the password "x" to log into Serv-U's Remote Administration
- IMMEDIATELY change the username and password to your desired credentials
Once done, Serv-U can now be administered while installed on a headless server or a server without a GUI.