Definition of Managed File Transfer
In a recent Gartner publication ("Managed File Transfer Features You Will Need for Your Integration Projects"), analyst Ben Huang laid out several criteria for a managed file transfer solution.
- Security: At rest and in motion
- MFT Access: Limit access by role, individual and time
- Access to Directory Information: Use of Active Directory
- Authentication: Use of X.509 certificates
- File Storage: Limit access after upload, default file access policy and security logs
- Monitoring: View "real time" file transfer progress
- Notification: Stop and completion of file transfers
- Reporting: Transfer activity and access
- Transport: Large files, checkpoint restart, integrity checks, protocol fidelity
- Utilities: Compression
- Internal Resource Protection (Proxy Server): DMZ resident, conceal internal IP addresses
- B2B/E-Commerce Protocol Support: HTTP, HTTPS, FTP, FTPS, SFTP
- Endpoint Management: Create, edit and remove trading partner profiles
By itself, Serv-U satisfies most of these criteria, including "Access to Directory Information" through direct integration with Active Directory (AD), "Endpoint Management" though AD or integration with an external database, and "Authentication" through its support of multi-factor authentication.
When deployed with Serv-U Gateway, Serv-U satisfies all of these criteria, including "Internal Resource Protection (Proxy Server)" and "Security: At rest and in motion". Serv-U Gateway provides a secure reverse proxy that prevents data from being stored at rest in a DMZ segment or connections from being initiated from the DMZ into the internal network.
A Future-Proof Managed File Transfer Solution
In technology, examples like Google demonstrate that inexpensive does not necessarily mean inferior. Similarly, we pride ourselves on implementing next generation technology, from IPv6 to native 64-bit applications, before our competition.
When you invest in Serv-U, you can be assured that we will support:
- Future Windows and Linux operating systems. We already have native 64-bit applications for both platforms and we are already a member of Microsoft and Red Hat developer programs.
- Future networking architecture. We were one of the first companies to completely support IPv6 over FTP, FTPS, SFTP, HTTP and HTTPS. We also continue to implement new features within FTP and SSH as new RFCs and drafts are developed.
- Future virtualization and cloud technology. We already support VMware and deployment in Amazon's EC2 cloud, and we continue to explore new virtualization and cloud deployment options.
- Future web browsers and mobile devices. We are one of the only secure file transfer solutions to support web transfer interfaces for the iPad, iPhone, Android, BlackBerry, Kindle Fire plus all major desktop web browsers. We are also usually the first vendor to support new browser versions and mobile devices as they are released.
- Future markets. We support about a dozen of the world's most common languages, including emerging market languages such as Chinese. We work with a strong network of resellers and distributors (link to resellers page) to ensure that you, your subsidiaries, and your partners can acquire and deploy Serv-U outside the United States.
A Highly Secure Managed File Transfer Solution
Serv-U is developed by a staff that holds CISSP, GSNA and CCSK certifications (which meet U.S. DoD Directive 8570.1). We use FIPS 140-2 validated cryptography, and have earned a rare Certificate of Networthiness (CoN) from the U.S. Army.
Our Serv-U Gateway component is engineered to ensure that no data is ever stored in the DMZ, and that no connections are ever made from the DMZ into an internal network. When used with Serv-U, Serv-U Gateway meets or exceeds requirements in PCI DSS 2.0, HIPAA, SOX (Sarbanes-Oxley), PIPEDA and many other regulations and policies.